Friday, January 07, 2005

Lord, if you wish...

Lk 5, 12-16

It happened that there was a man full of leprosy in one of the towns where Jesus was;
and when he saw Jesus, he fell prostrate, pleaded with him, and said,
"Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean."
Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him,
and said,"I do will it.

Be made clean."

We want to be in control. Always. It gives us a sense of security. And a sense of power! That is why mistakes are hardly tolerated, especially in our world today. Mistakes, especially the ones which can be prevented, do not speak well of our capacity to have control over our life and destinty. That is why sicknesses deflate us. They make us lose control, even of our bodies.

When I sprained my ankle I felt so helpless. It was very frustrating. There were things I wanted to do but could not. I had to rely on a cane. And on somebody to help me walk. Or get some things for me. Or do some things for me. I became more frustrated, and even irritated when I insisted on doing things myself. It was difficult to give up control.

The leper in our Gospel gave up control, and put everything in the hands of Jesus. "Lord, if you wish.." The leper was saying: "I have nothing. I am helpless. But I let you God take control of my life. I am yours!"

And Jesus took hold of him. And cured him.

When will we give God control of our life? How much do we trust God that we are able to let God take control of us? We can have only so much control. But when we put everything in God's hands, we are able to be more free. More happy. The future looks brighter.

"Jesus, I trust in you!" A beautiful prayer!