Monday, January 03, 2005

I will give you all the nations for an inheritance.

Readings of the Day

Who are the poor? By definition, the poor would be those who have nothing, those who can hardly help themselves ... Materially and financially, it is so easy to show who are the poor. And in the Philippines, they are getting more and more and more.

But for those who "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ" (from the first reading), a promise from God would serve as a great consolation for a great majority of us. "I will give you all the nations for an inheritance." Because we trust in God's mercy, and believe in His words, because we serve Him and love Him, we have for our reward and inheritance "all the nations". Then we are not poor! For those who trust in the mercy and love of God, who follow his commandment of "loving one another", we can never be poor!

Yesterday, after the afternoon mass, I was called to administer the Anointing of the Sick. She was 76 years old. She had difficulty standing up; she was resting on a lounge chair. She could not open her eyes, or refused to open her eyes.

I sat down to talk to her as I held her hands. She took a strong grip on my hand. I heard her confession. Then, administered to her the sacrament.

Beside her was her husband. A man of 84 years of age, but still quite strong for his age.

I looked at both of them , and saw a couple rich in love. I was called because they believed in the mercy and love of Jesus. And because, there was still that enduring love both shared after all these years.

This is one inheritance the world cannot give!