Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Give them some food yourselves

Mk. 6, 34-44

When Jesus saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things. By now it was already late and his disciples approached him and said, This is a deserted place and it is already very late. Dismiss them so that they can go to the surrounding farms and villages and buy themselves something to eat. He said to them in reply,"Give them some food yourselves."
God has given us everything we need: eyes to see the world around us, and the people in need, dying, lonely and the desitute; the ears to listen to cries of pain and loneliness; the heart to understand these pains and the joys of people around us; the arms and the legs to go to them... We have everything.

But it is a lot easier, however, to just dismiss the "crowd" --- people who come to us for help. And a lot easier to just point to others to do the "helping". By recommending somebody, we feel that we have already done our part. These are the most practical things to do for us. But the practical things may not always be the best answers! Let us rather look for the compasionate and merciful responses. They are more Christ-like.

The Lord says, "Give them some food yourselves!" The Lord has given us for others. Let us be one for them!

PRAYER FOR THE GRACE TO BE MERCIFUL TO OTHERS
(Diary, 163: St. Maria Faustina Kowalska)

O Most Holy Trinity! As many times as I breath, as many times as my heart beats, as many times as my blood pulsates through my body, so many thousand times do I want to glorify Your mercy.

I want to be completely transformed into Your mercy and to be Your living reflection, O Lord. May the greatest of all Your attributes, that of Your unfathomable mercy, come to pass through my heart and soul to my neighbor.

Help me, O Lord, that my eyes may be merciful, so that I may never suspect or judge from appearances, but look for what is beautiful in my neighbor’s souls and come to their rescue.

Help me, that my ears might be merciful, so that I might give heed to my neighbor’s needs and not be indifferent to their pains and moanings.

Help me, O Lord, that my tongue may be merciful, so that I may never speak negatively of my neighbor, but have a word of comfort and forgiveness for all.

Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbors and take upon myself the more difficult and toilsome tasks.

Help me, O Lord, that my feet may be merciful, so that I may hurry to assist my neighbor, overcoming my own fatigue and weariness. My true rest is in the service of my neighbor.

Help me, O Lord, that my heart may be merciful, so that I myself will feel all the sufferings of my neighbor. I will refuse my heart to no one. I will be sincere even with those who I know will abuse my kindness. And I will lock myself up in the most merciful heart of Jesus. I will bear my own sufferings in silence. May Your mercy, Lord, rest upon me. Amen.