Sunday, February 22, 2009

What can go wrong can ...!

My right wrist is swollen. And it is causing me a slight discomfort. It had not been so however yesterday, and the day before yesterday.

I believe it is my "Ganglion Cyst".

I don't know how suddenly it was so painful to move my hand; much so, carry something. Three nights ago I was working on my computer for about an hour. I felt a little pain in my right wrist after I shut off the computer. I thought maybe it was how I handled the mouse.

When I woke up the next day, I could not move my right hand without pain and much difficulty. I celebrated the morning mass so much distracted by the discomfort that went along with every movement of my right hand: from holding the microphone, turning the page of the Sacramentary to raising the Sacred Host during the consecration!

And I had three Barangay Elementary Schools to go to for the First Confession and Communion of their Grade Three pupils! I still had to drive the Parish Jeep to the barangays which would be without difficulty IF my wrist would not cause me much pain and discomfort. But it did! Shifting the gears was Calvary!

Our first barangay was Ambalangan Dalin.

Halfway along the way, I asked my companions if they could smell something burning.

"Anggapo." Nothing, they said.

"Wala, Father!"Foji, our sacristan, said after a few seconds. "Ambanget!"

"Craaaak!"

"Anto man?" I asked nobody in particular as I brought the jeep to a stop. It was just right beside the chapel in Colisao. Smoke was coming out of the hood of the jeep!

Fearing for the worst, Bro. Ricardo Solis, the Lay Eucharistic Minister who was going around with us, raised the hood while Foji and I peered.

I thought it was the radiator. I thought it ran out of water.

But, there it was! A rag was twisted right in the radiator's fan! That caused the smoke as the twisting and the turning of the fan caused the rag to be heated up, and the rubber of the crank to burn!

And much more: the fan belt got twisted too, and was removed from the pulley attached to the flywheel! There was no way we could put it back! Reason: there were no tools in the jeep.
Question: How it heaven did that rag get twisted with the radiator's fan? Answer: What could go wrong would go wrong! Just before we left for the barangay, Jefri, our convent boy, put water in the radiator. He wiped the spilled water with a rag, and ... left the rag under the hood that it would surely get twisted with the fan when the engine would be running!

We left the jeep, and hailed a tricycle which brought us to Ambalangan Dalin Elementary School. We were late by almost thirty minutes.

And my wrist was starting to get worse! By the time we were on our third school in the afternoon, it was getting very difficult to even give the Holy Communion to the children.

By Saturday, my hand was really swollen. Instead of driving the Parish motorcycle to my two barangay masses, Barangay Anonang sent a tricycle to fetch me. It brought me too to my next barangay to Angio.

Dr. Gregorio de Guzman gave some medicine to take when I showed him my swollen wrist just before the mass this morning.

Thank God, my wrist feels a lot better tonight. There is a slight discomfort, but it is tolerable. And I could type. So, I must be feeling better now.