Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Please, let the Doctor see you..."

She died three weeks after I heard her confession, and administered to her the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. At that time, she looked fine and strong, if not for her swollen right foot. Her foot also had a big, open wound.

She was sitting on her bed as I heard her confession. After the viaticum, and the prayers, I asked her sister what caused the wound. "I think it was a bite of an ant", she said.

"Hmmm.."I responded. Not really believing what caused the foot to swell. "Then she scratched it so hard, until there was this little wound", she continued.

Infection. I thought.

Before I left, I told her, "Please, go to a doctor, and let the Doctor see you. Your foot is getting infected. Nasamalan kayo la! "

"You might be diabetic", I added.

Three weeks later, I celebrated the Funeral Mass for her.

She did not go to the doctor.