Monday, April 17, 2006

Exemption!

On Holy Week, there are more than the usual penitents who receive the Sacrament of Reconcilliation or Confession. They come in sorrow for their sins, sometimes in anger; others come with doubts in their hearts, with tears in their eyes. They come with problems that seem to weigh them down.

They leave with hope in their lives; they receive comfort and consolation from God's mercy. For every sinner, the mercy of God is a providential gift!

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned", came the voice on the other side of the confessional. "I did not fast last Ash Wednesday".

The voice seemed to belong to an older woman.

"Bai, how old are you?", I asked her.

"I am now 73 years old", was the reply.

"Bai," I said, " at your age, you are not obliged to fast. You are exempted already."

There was a pause on the other side. Silence.

Then the unexpected question:

"Father, does that mean I can now tell a lie, play tong-its and gamble?"

Amen to that.